In response to the growing conviction in the nation that the Nigerian Church should hold a Solemn Assembly nationwide, to repent on behalf of Nigeria and seek God’s divine intervention on account of the multiple crisis afflicting the Church and the nation, His Eminence, the President of CAN, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, has approved that a national Solemn Assembly should take place from Friday 27th May – Sunday 29th May, 2016.
The intercessory community in Nigeria, represented by the Wailing Women International, Intercessors for Nigeria (IFN), and NIGERIA PRAYS, are deeply committed and involved in the call for the Solemn Assembly. Presently, Intercessors for Nigeria (IFN) has embarked on 120-day prayer and fasting for Nigeria.
All the Church leaders are requested to inform and mobilize all the Christian assemblies within their spheres of influence to actively participate in the Solemn Assembly. For as many as are able, the Solemn Assembly weekend should be accompanied with FASTING. The details are as follows:
Friday 27th May, 2016 - Prayer Vigil for Repentance and Divine intervention.
Saturday 28th May, 2016 - 5pm – 6pm Prayers in homes, home cell groups or fellowships.
Sunday 29th May, 2016 - All Christian assemblies nationwide should preach on REPENTANCE AND RIGHTEOUSNESS during the worship service. This should be accompanied with at least 15 minutes devoted to prayers for Nigeria and the Body of Christ.
Sunday 29th May, 2016 - 4pm – 6pm Solemn Assembly Worship Service in all Christian Assemblies in Nigeria. FCT CAN shall be required to organize the Solemn Assembly on the National Altar at the National Christian Centre, Abuja.
Kindly give the Solemn Assembly your highest urgent attention. May the Lord hear our prayers and heal our land.
Rev. Dr. Musa Asake
General Secretary, CAN
PLEASE FIND BELOW THE PRAYER POINTS FOR THE VIGIL ON FRIDAY, PRAYER ON SATURDAY AND SCHEDULE OF PROGRAM FOR THE SOLEMN ASSEMBLY ON SUNDAY 4pm.
A CLARION CALL TO PRAYERS
This is a call to prayer from all Churches, Intercessors and lovers of Nigeria. A one-man army cannot give us the success we need. Therefore, we need corporate intercession. Our nation, Nigeria is under threat as a result of Insurgency, insecurity to life and property. As we know, the spiritual controls the physical and time is of the essence. Join us to cry unto the Lord asking Him for mercy upon our Land and people. “But where sin abounds, there the grace of God abounds’… the depth of our helplessness is actually the ground for God to manifest Himself again.”
Let’s pray using Psalm 100, 103, 105: 1-5:
Let us begin by giving thanks to God for giving us a country we can call our own. With all the things we criticize about Nigeria, it is still the only country and homeland we have.
1. Thank the Lord for the size and abundant resources of Nigeria – we are so blessed with rich human and material resources. Nigeria is a great Nation under God.
2. Thank the Lord for the redemptive gifts of Nigeria and pray that the Lord will help us fulfil our mandate as a nation.
3. Thank God that despite the ethnic diversity and the political differences, Nigeria is still together as one nation.
4. Thank God for not giving Nigeria as a prey to the enemy, pray using psalm: 30: 1-5, 124: 1-8.
5. Let’s bless the LORD, and forget not all His benefits.
6. Thank God for forgiving us all our iniquities. He has redeemed us from destructions. God has shown us His loving kindness. Praise God for being merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. He has not dealt with us after our sins; nor rewarded us according to our iniquities (Ezra 9:13), for the fact that God spoke to us means that He has not forsaken us. Let’s give Him thanks for He knows our frame; and remembers that we are dust (Isa 29:16). “And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation; that they should see the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him though he be not far from every one of us” (Acts 17:26:27).
7. Let’s thank God for the entity and destiny of Nigeria.
Praise God for the riches he has endowed us with. There is no nation like Nigeria and no nation will be like her. Nigeria is a Great Nation and it is one nation under God.
Our ethnic diversity should be a blessing not a curse. Praise God for the human and material resources in Nigeria
REPENTANCE: THE ISSUES
Ps 66:18; Isa 1:15; James 4:3; Joel 1:13-20; Dan 9:4-11
Using the following Scriptures: Psalm 51:1-18; Neh 1:4-8, Ps 66:18, Daniel 9:3-19,Joel 1: 13-20; 2: 15 -18. Let us pray to the Lord for our nation Nigeria and ask Him to forgive our sins and show us mercy
We have sinned against the Lord our God in the following ways:
1. By breaking His commandments and worshipping idols – Exodus 20:3-5.
2. By rebelling against Him in disobedience and practicing witchcraft, sorcery, etc. Pray using 1 Samuel 15:22-23, Isaiah 58: 1-10
3. By our constant complaints, ingratitude and murmuring against our Leaders – Exodus 16:2-8.
4. By killing, maiming, kidnapping and causing much pain to innocent people
5. By oppressing the poor, cheating the widows and taking away the rights of the orphans. Pray using Psalm 146:7-9.
6. By fighting against each other and causing avoidable crisis.
7. By unleashing acts of terror, violence, vandalism and hatred against each other.
8. By being dishonest, deceitful, corrupt and wicked.
9. By not being patriotic, bad-mouthing and cursing our nation. Yet this is one nation that God has blessed so abundantly.
10. By the atrocious and mindless destruction being unleashed by Islamic insurgency i.e. Boko Haram, the unprovoked violence and unwarranted invasion of innocent and peaceful communities by Fulani herdsmen and their sponsors.
11. By our attempts at secession, we must repent for the attempt by Biafra to break away from Nigeria, the Bakassi crisis, the militancy in the Niger Delta.
12. By our complacency – we have allowed evil to take over parts of our country. Because the Church has refused to strategize and act proactively, the agents of Satan are almost taking over this country.
13. By our disunity we have made God weak. Therefore we must repent of the sin of strife and disunity in the nation. Pray using Psalm 133; Amos 3:3; John 17:21.
14. Repent in any way God’s standard has been compromised in the Church.
15. Ask God to show us mercy for praying and looking for rewards from men.
16. The root cause of deep distress in all nations of the world today is disobedience to the pattern of worship in Heaven, despising the altar of the Living God attracts curses, punishment and death. Pray that God will forgive us for this gross sin.
17. Let’s repent of every act of wickedness, rebellion, iniquity and departing from God’s precepts and from judgment (Ps 106:6; Isa 53:6).
18. Repent over strange cultures and idolatry in our nation.
19. Cry out to God to show us mercy and deliver us from bloodshed and its consequences. ( Deut. 21:1-8)
20. Repent from the abomination of kidnapping elders/fathers/pregnant women and children and rape in Nigeria.
21. Repent and ask God for mercy on misplaced priorities, greed, and covetousness
22. .Repent for aiding and abetting corruption.
23. Cry out and repent for lack of vision and strategic plan.
24. Bring repentance for lack of values and moral strength.
1. Pray for the unity of The Church of Jesus Christ in Nigeria. Ps 133, Genesis 11:6. Acts 3:1, Ephesians: 4: 2-7.
2. Pray and wake up the Church and the mighty men from their seat of complacency. Amos 6:1, Joel 3:9-11, Isaiah 32:9-11
3. Pray against fear. Call forth strength to travail and bring forth. 2Tim 1:7, Isaiah 41:10, Isaiah 66:7-8
4. Pray that God will raise a voice for the Church in Nigeria.
5. Pray for vision, focus, prophetic direction, wisdom, understanding and the Spirit of excellence.
6. Pray for courage, selflessness, the spirit of sacrifice.
7. Pray for grace in the face of persecution.
8. Pray for visionary and influential leaders that will put strategic plans in place for the Church, such as Nehemiah, Moses, Joseph, Ezra, Deborah etc.
9. Pray and call forth Spiritual Fathers, Role Models and Mentors for the younger generation. 2 Timothy 2:2.
10. Pray and deal with the multiple satanic altars springing up as Churches.
11. Pray that the people who walked in darkness will see a Great light (Isa 9:2a).
12. .Pray that the church should stop politicking and be focus.
13. Cut off every accusing tongue against the church.
14. Pray for sustainability and unity of the church.
THE YOUTH Psalm 144:12-15.
1. Pray that the potentials in our youths will be harnessed and properly channelled.
2. Pray against the spirit of provocation, restiveness, violence, lawlessness and disorder that will lead to wastage of lives.
3. JUDGEMENT ON THE WICKED. Declare Psalm 149:6-9, Psalm 74.
4. Pray against encroachment of the adversary
5. Pray and frustrate all evil plans in the pipeline they will hear a rumour and turn backwards. Job 5:12-14, 2 Kings 19:7.
6. Release the judgment of God on the wicked. Psalm 94.
The Bibles says that, “Woe to thee, O land, when thy king is a child, and thy princes eat in the morning! Blessed are thou, O land, when they king is the son of nobles, and thy princes eat in due season, for strength, and not for drunkenness” (Isa 3:4-5, 12; Eccl 10:16:17).
Let’s bring repentance on behalf of our Spiritual and political leaders.
1. Corruption, lies, misplaced priorities, mismanagement of our resources.
2. Misappropriation of funds, greed and covetousness.
3. Evil alignment with the nations that oppose God and Israel. Pray using Psalm. 122: 6-9.
4. Stealing from the people and oppressing the people at the same time.
5. Oppressing the weak and not providing relief to the needy displaced persons and handicapped.
BLOODSHED - pray using Deut 21:1-8
We need to repent of blood guilt in the Land.
Blood has polluted and defiled our Land. Let us cry out to the Lord for mercy.
STRIFE AND HATRED
Let us repent of the sins of hatred, strife, bitterness, unforgiveness, rancour and distrust among the ethnic nationalities of Nigeria.
NOT USING OUR REDEMPTIVE GIFTS WELL
We need to repent for not using maximally our redemptive gifts in Africa.
General Prayer Focus:
1. There is a demonic influence over the nation. It is either you drive it out or you will compromise.
2. Pray and deal with all demonic altars and satanic systems operating in the country Let the Lord visit with fury and destroy them (Isa 64:1-4; Ps 144:5-6).
3. Ask the Lord to put out the fire of the adversary.
4. Declare that there will be no religious violence in the land.
5. Pray that God will break the staff of the wicked and the sceptre of Rulers (Isa 49:25-26; Isa 51:25).
6. Pray that the wicked will fall into their own net (Ps 141:8-10).
7. Pray that there will be no secession by any group of rebels. Ask the Lord to bring an end to Militancy: Bakassi, Egbesu, the Avenger, Arewa group or Area boys and let it die a natural death in Nigeria.
8. Declare and pronounce death on Boko Haram, their kingpins and sponsors if they do not repent. People are being beheaded, raped and sexual assaulted. Pray that the culprits will not go free.
9. Ask the Lord to raise for our nation leaders that have national interest and sentiments.
10. Break the monopoly of some businesses in Nigeria.
11. Pray that any attempt to devalue our Currency will not stand.
12. There is a principality of death casting its shadow over our nation and people. Pray against it.
13. Pray that God will restrain our youth from evil.
14. .Pray against destruction and the spirit of restiveness, violence, lawlessness and disorder.
15. Break every alliance, treaty or agreement made in any altar of darkness against Nigeria.
16. Cry out, Oh! God frustrate the tokens of lions, make their diviners mad, turn their wise men backward and make their knowledge foolish (Isa 44:24; Ps 33:10; Isa 47:13; 1 Cor 1:27; 2 Sam 15:31; 1 Cor 1:19-20).
17. Violence shall no more be heard in thy land, wasting nor destruction within thy borders.
18 .Pray God will satisfy us early with His mercy (Ps 90:14).
Let’s pray fervently and plead with the Lord as Ezra , Nehemiah and Daniel did. Pray using Daniel 9:18-19:
Raise a loud lamentation and pray saying:
“O Lord, hear! O Lord, forgive!
O Lord, pardon us. O Lord, please listen and act!
Lord, please do not delay answer us and take away our reproach for your name sake.
Father, please show us mercy and answer us to preserve and deliver Nigeria,
because a remnant in this nation continually call upon your name.
Thank you, Lord, for hearing and answering our prayers, which we pray to you this season, in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen!
Thank God for answered prayers and read Psalm 21.
SUPPLEMENTARY PRAYER POINTS TO IFN - 120 Days Prayer Project
1. Is 52.1,11 – Please Lord help me and help all of Your Church to put on beautiful garments of faithfulness and obedient living, to touch no unclean thing – the bribes, immoralities and iniquities of government, schools, business and politics in Nigeria – that the Church may be strong and attract the outpouring of God’s power in the land to heal it, and keep His children safe under the shadow of the Almighty.
2. Is 52.3 – O Lord forgive me and forgive the Church for every way in which we sold ourselves; every way in which we turned our back against you; please forgive and redeem us
3. Is 52.9-10 – make bare Your Holy arm in mighty protection and deliverance of Your children, and in mighty conversion of strategic rebels and unbelievers that will silence opposition, comfort Your children and expand your kingdom.
4. Is 52.5-6,15 – let those who have been rebelling against the Lord in Nigeria be sprinkled, let their kings hear what they never heard before, see what they never saw before, let them no more be able to open their mouths to blaspheme or lift their hands or resources against the Lord to make God’s people howl anymore, but rather humbly submit and serve the Lord.
5. Is 2.2-3 / Mic 4.1-2; Is54.3: Let the Church and God’s people begin to experience such spiritual and material elevation and distinction that unbelievers all over Nigeria voluntarily recognize the supremacy of the way of the Lord and opt to follow Jesus. Pray for compelling attractiveness of the gospel and the way of the Lord.
6. Hab 2.14 “For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.” Lord let the knowledge of your glory cover every nook, cranny and people group of Nigeria as the waters cover the sea.
7. 2 Co 4.6 “For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” Lord please command light to shine out of every dark place of Nigeria, let all Nigerians – rich and poor, rulers and ruled, North, South, East, West and centre – experience the light of the knowledge of God’s glory in the face if Jesus Christ.
8. Psalm 2.8 “Ask of Me, and I will give You The nations for Your inheritance, And the ends of the earth for Your possession.” By Your power, Almighty God, let no inch of Nigeria and no people group remain without knowledge of the living God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
9. Matt 26.31 “I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad.” Lord, as You did to Saul Who became Paul, please confront and conquer the leaders of those Who rebel against You and are killing Your children; spiritually conquer their leaders and let their flock likewise abandon every way of rebellion and follow You the living God.
NATIONWIDE FASTING AND PRAYERS FOR GOD’S MERCY ON THE CHURCH & INTERVENTION IN NIGERIA, MAY 27-29, 2016. THEME: “Return to the LORD your God” – Joel 2.13
PROGRAM FOR FRIDAY MAY 27, NIGHT VIGIL: 10pm – 2am
|10||Opening Hymn:“Spirit Divine Attend Our Prayers” & Opening prayers||10.05pm|
|20||Prayers of thanks for ourselves, families, business/jobs, Nigeria||10.15pm|
|• For Jesus, for the Holy Spirit, for salvation and sanctification|
|• Protection and preservation|
|• Provisions and promotion|
|• For God’s plans, purposes, program for a far better future|
|15||Solemn, consecration Hymns ***||10.35pm|
|30||Repentance for sins, transgressions and iniquities||10.50pm|
|• Personal / Individual|
|• The Church / Body of Christ|
|• Families, Businesses, Groups, Communities, States|
|• Special prayer for Children, Teens & Youth on Children’s Day|
|• Silence before the Lord (minimum 5 minutes)|
|15||Praise & Worship||11.20pm|
|40||The Word & related prayers||11.35pm|
|25||Intercession session 1||12.15am|
|• Thy Kingdom come in Nigeria: Let Jesus increase, everything contrary decrease|
|• Thy will be done: Let righteousness take root and exalt Nigeria|
|• The Church: Let the Church be true light and salt; let there be revival|
|• Open the eyes and hearts of unbelievers to know You, Lord|
|• Raise fresh Pauls from among today’s enemies of the gospel|
|15||Praise & Worship||12.40am|
|25||Intercession session 2||12.55am|
|• Lord, please protect your children, the Church|
|• Oh, Lord, avenge our adversary|
|• Root out, pull down, destroy, throw down, build and plant|
|• Good governance, Peace, Prosperity and Progress in Nigeria|
|25||Prayers for participants and their families||1.30am|
|5||Announcements & closing||1.55am|
SOLEMN ASSEMBLY – SUNDAY 4 – 6 PM
NATIONWIDE FASTING AND PRAYERS FOR GOD’S MERCY ON THE CHURCH & INTERVENTION IN NIGERIA, MAY 27-29, 2016. THEME: “Return to the LORD your God” – Joel 2.13
PROGRAM FOR SOLEMN ASSEMBLY, SUNDAY MAY 29: 4pm – 6pm
|5mins||Welcome / Opening prayer||4.00pm|
|5 mins||Opening Hymn: “Thy kingdom come O God”||4.05pm|
|10 mins||Prayers of thanks for ourselves, families, endeavours, Nigeria||4.10pm|
|12 mins||Solemn, consecration Hymns ***||4.20pm|
|10 mins||Repentance for sins, transgressions and iniquities||4.32pm|
|• Help us to be faithful…Let righteousness exalt Nigeria|
|• Open the eyes of the blind, save the lost|
|• Equip the Church to win Nigeria for You, Lord|
|• Lord, please give Nigeria’s leaders wisdom to rule aright|
|• Thank You Lord for 17 years of democracy. By Your power, let it be sustained and get better for the good of Nigerians|
|• Scatter the horns of wickedness…Let peace flood Nigeria|
|10 mins||Praise & Worship||4.52pm|
|25 mins||The Word||5.02pm|
|15 mins||High Praise||5.42pm|
|5 mins||United cry: “Let God Arise (Psm68.1….Let your people not be ashamed (Joel.2.26)”||5.47pm|
|5 mins||Prayers for & blessings unto the participants||5.52pm|
|3 mins||Announcements & closing||5.57pm|
*** SOME HYMNS THAT MAY BE SUITABLE
➢ Approach my soul, the mercy seat
➢ I am Thine O Lord
➢ I need Thee every hour
➢ Nearer my God to Thee
➢ All to Jesus I surrender
➢ Rock of Ages, cleft for me
➢ Thou Whose Almighty Word
➢ Revive Thy work O Lord
➢ My hope is built on nothing less
➢ God our help in ages past