HIGHLIGHTS OF THE PAPER
- Presently, everyone of good conscience in Nigeria is pained at the operation of the spirit of Judas which through treachery has steadily degraded Democracy in the country.
- The antithesis of Democracy is Sharia ideology. While Democracy accommodates divergent groups in the country, Sharia is discriminatory and caters only to the interest and well being of a section of the country.
- Democracy is easily promoted when Christians uphold democratic values. Unfortunately, the current leadership of the Church has confirmed by its various actions that it is Islamist collaborator and more sympathetic towards Sharia rather than Democracy.
- Consequently, Christians no longer possess moral or spiritual legal ground to defend free and fair election because Sharia supporters inside the Church ensure that Church election is neither free nor fair. In effect, Democracy is compromised in Nigeria from within the Church.
- If Christians wish to regain spiritual and moral right to promote Democracy in Nigeria, their agitation should commence from within the Church.
- It has been suggested that CSMN should constitute a Christian Judicial Panel to interpret the Constitution of the Christian Association in view of the recent undemocratic “election” inside the Church. It is concluded that if there is no electoral integrity inside the Church, electoral integrity cannot be found in the country.
- In view of the other points enumerated in the paper below, Christians are enjoined not to destroy Democracy in Nigeria.